As winter sets in, it’s important to keep proper maintenance on your home to prevent damage from harsh weather, snow, etc. One area that often gets overlooked during this time of year is the roof. Taking the necessary steps for winter roof maintenance can save you from potential damage and costly repairs in the long run.
In this blog post, we will be sharing six essential winter roof maintenance tips that every homeowner should know. By following these tips, you can ensure that your roof stays strong and can withstand whatever winter throws its way. Here’s how to survive winter with a well-maintained roof…
Top 6 Tips for Efficient Roof Care During Winters
When it comes to winter roof care, there are six essential tips that every homeowner should know. These tips will help you maintain your roof durability during the cold months and protect it from potential damage.
From clearing debris to inspecting for leaks, we’ve got you covered with the best practices for winter roof maintenance. By following these tips, you can ensure that your roof stays strong and can withstand whatever winter throws its way…
- Remove Snow. Don’t ignore the snow! While it looks pretty to have a roof blanketed in white snow, if you let it sit for too long it will wreak havoc on your roof. Even just a few inches for too long can create a heavy load for your home to bear, and anywhere where there is just a little bit of roof compromised, can risk significant damage. Remove it as quickly as you can. Consider installing snow guards or snow fences to help break up the snow and prevent large chunks from sliding off. Use a roof rake with a long handle to safely remove snow, being cautious not to damage the shingles. Regular snow removal can save you from potential roof collapses and costly repairs.
- Beware of ice. Ice can also be heavy, but on top of that it can lead to an ice dam on your roof. As water flows towards your gutters and temperatures drop, it can freeze in and around your gutters. This can lead to a backup of other water which can also freeze, which can damage your shingles and create leaks.
- Keep an eye on your gutters. If it’s a winter with particularly a lot of snow and ice, your gutters will likely be the first place to see problems. Check them regularly for ice build up. If you see icicles from your gutters, you most likely have a problem and area that needs clearing.
- Don’t underestimate the wind. Ice and snow are usually the most pressing matters, but wind and storms are also common during winter months and can cause just as many problems. After heavy wind, inspect your roof for signs of damage. Check your gutters and look for missing shingles.If you have any shingles that have blown off, our roofing repair crews can replace them and ensure the pitch of the roof is correct. This repair work can save you money, prevent issues from escalating and provide peace of mind.
- Clear debris. Check your roof for debris and clear it completely free of leaves, stones and pine needles before snow accumulates. If you are able to clear it before a storm hits, the moisture won’t have anything to grip onto and soak. You can use a broom or rake to clear off debris that you can reach.
- Check your attic. Proper attic ventilation and insulation are crucial for maintaining a strong roof during winter. Adequate ventilation helps prevent the buildup of moisture and condensation, which can lead to mold growth and damage to your roof’s structure. Insulation, on the other hand, helps keep your home warm and prevents heat from escaping through the roof, which can contribute to the formation of ice dams. By ensuring proper attic ventilation and insulation, you can protect your roof and maintain a comfortable and energy-efficient home during the cold winter months.
When it comes to maintaining your roof during the winter, it may be worth considering professional roof maintenance services and inspections. Our highly trained team of technicians can do thorough roof inspections to detect any potential problems that could lead to costly damages if not addressed.
With this free inspection we will provide you with an accurate and detailed report of the condition of your roof and suggest any necessary repairs or full replacement.
You can rest assured that our free roof inspection will provide you with the peace of mind that your roof is in good shape and protected this winter.
Call our office today to book a free roof inspection, and check out all of our roof services!